ACT Education Solutions
Helping international students prepare for study at English-speaking universities around the world.
Our English Language Programs prepare students for further studies in English.
The Global Assessment Certificate™ program is a university preparation program, taught and evaluated in English.
University of the Month – University of South Wales (formerly Glamorgan)
The University of South Wales is one of Britain’s most exciting new universities and a major player in higher education. One of the top ten campus universities in the UK by student number, the University attracts a cosmopolitan mix of students from 122 countries and all backgrounds. With over 33,000 students across five campuses, it was rated top for student support in the Times Higher Education Awards 2012.
The University of South Wales is unique in combining the broadest range of provision with the widest access to education. It offers a full range of qualifications, from PhD study to foundation degrees. The breadth of subjects includes the full range of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects, from aircraft engineering and mathematics to computing and surveying. The University is also an experienced provider of teacher training.
Courses focus on employability and simulated learning to ensure that students learn how their profession works in real life. They develop confidence and skills in realistic hands-on environments, including their own aircraft, moot court room, TV studios, stock exchange trading room, hospital wards, and scenes of crime house. Sport students train and play on facilities used and endorsed by world champions such as the All Blacks.
The success of this approach is reflected in the high employment rate of its graduates, with 93% of students in employment or further study within six months of graduating. Its position as a leading university for careers is cemented by partnerships with industry leaders and major employers, from British Airways to the National Health Service.
The University of South Wales is a significant player in the arts, with an internationally acclaimed film school, industry-standard animation facilities, broadcasting studios, one of the UK’s oldest photography schools, a strong reputation for theatre design, award-winning poets, scriptwriters and authors, and the national music and drama conservatoire, the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, within its group.
As a member of the St David’s Day Group, the University of South Wales is also recognised as one of Wales’s leading research universities. It is a powerhouse in applied research that is used to shape key decisions. As a public policy think-tank, the University offers independent advice to government, industry and employers across the UK on health, education, economic growth, social policy, and governance.
So, in a nutshell, the University has:
• Gorgeous locations across south Wales, within easy reach of beaches and mountains
• City nightlife, culture and shopping, with a fantastic range of entertainment offered on campus
• Close links with industry and work placement opportunities mean that we hope to improve on the 93% of our students who are currently in employment or further study*
• Fantastic facilities which mean students learn by doing – we have a clinical simulation suite, crime scene house, trading floor, Aerospace Centre with its own airliner and flight simulator and exceptional creative spaces
• All the support students need to enjoy their student experience – the University is the current holder of Times Higher Education Award for Outstanding Support to Students**
• Great sporting opportunities – students will be using facilities that are used by international football and rugby teams and there are teams at all levels, based across the main locations (Newport, and the Pontypridd and Cardiff campuses)
• A wide range of courses (http://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/) to choose from
*Graduate Destination Survey, 2011 (as the University of Glamorgan) **As the University of Glamorgan
For more information and a video about the University, please visit http://www.southwales.ac.uk/.